General Troubleshooting for Kodi
The purpose of this page is to provide our customers with basic directions that fixes a majority of common problems. The directions below fix 90% of issues most customers face with Kodi. This is a great place to start if you experience any problem with your unit.
Maintenance to help with Buffering and 90% of all problems
- First you want to delete the cache, which is saved in difference places so a few steps must be followed. All of our devices have a clear cache button in the favorites tab inside kodi for ease of use
- Our latest units have 2 options to delete cache installed under the favorite tab, use both RAW Maintenance AND DELETE CACHE button. They both do the same thing for the most part with minor differences.
- Note-Only click the clear cache button under raw maintenance, don't purge packages or delete thumbnails (if you see the option), it may delete our background if you do. But doesn't effect the setup otherwise.
- Next follow direction below to enable Zero cache system, it helps with buffering issues. (this only needs to be done once for the life of the unit)
- Inside Kodi, Click Programs tab- then Ares Wizard (may take a minute to load)- Then click tweaks- Then Advanced Settings Wizard- Click Next- Click Generate Settings- Click Apply These Settings- Click Ok and Restart Kodi.
- Now exit Kodi reboot your device, by reboot we mean click on the "quit" button under the power tab, and then unplug the power to the device. Plug it back in after you follow the next step to reboot your router and modem.
- You may also consider Rebooting your modem and router at this point
- Note- Usually if you unplug both router and modem, you want to plug the modem in first, and wait about 5 minutes to plug in your router.
- Step one fixes a majority of issues, if it doesn't work, follow directions for step two.
- For Amazon units- Go to settings-application-manageallapplication-kodi-click force stop-click delete cache (not data), and launch Kodi and see if it fixed your problem, if not try step 3.
- NOTE: This direction can also be used on any of the other android apps we have installed on the units, and it will fix many issues from links for movies/shows not being visible to software update related issues.
- For Andriod Units- Go to settings-apps-Scroll right to All apps-go down to Kodi-click Clear cache (not data). Turn off the unit, unplug power. Turn the unit back on and test it.
- If your device is experiencing a lot of error messages such as "one or more items failed to play"
- These error messages simply mean that either the add-on is down for repair/update Or that specific link is not working and you need to try a different link. This is a standard error message, it DOES NOT mean that something is wrong with the device so please don't be concerned.
- If this error comes up for every single link you click on, then either the add-on is down for repair, or your device is not getting a strong wifi signal. Even if you pay for 100mbps per month, that does not mean that you internet speed is 100mbps, since Internet speed can vary from room to room in your home. Also a majority of times your internet provider does not provide the speed promised. Further many providers "throttle" the speed after you begin streaming often, make sure thats not an issue for you.
- Note- Turning your router off by unplugging the power, and plugging the power back will often reset your router and fixes speed issues.
- Test your internet speed in the room where you are using the device
- You want your speed to be above 10mbps download, anything less than 5mbps usually has a lot of buffering issues.
- Next try moving the unit to a room that is open and closer to the router, such as the living room. Even if that's not where you want to use your unit, try this step to determine if the issue is wifi reception/internet speed.
- If you have the fire tv box or Octacore unit, you can also try to hardwire the ethernet cable from the router or modem to the box for better performance.
Regardless of what problem your unit is experiencing, this general troubleshoot is worth performing because it can only help, there is no down side.